Background

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Random Acts of Kindness


I have a challenge for you, my lovely readers. My challenge to you is to do something nice for someone this week. Do it in secret if you’re nervous or just do it outright, but somehow go out of your way to be kind to someone. Now if that seems easy up the numbers. Do kind acts to five people. Maybe try to do one act of kindness every day this week. Crazy, I know. But I’ll tell you, it makes a difference to people.
I feel as though many times we, as Christians or even simply as human beings, have a tendency to sit back on our haunches and watch others pass us by. Of course we have our friends that we love and will do nice things for sometimes, but even at a Bible School there are plenty of people that cross my path each day that just look a little down. My question is, why don’t we ever do something about that? Why not try to be a bright point in a person’s day? I was given a note the other day from a friend. He wrote it for no reason other than to just encourage me. I wasn’t down. I wasn’t crying or angry or frustrated. He did it just ‘cause. The note said that he really cherished our friendship and that he was so glad he got to know me. He said we should hang out soon since we hadn’t in awhile, and you know what? It was really nice. A few days later, a friend complimented me on my kind heart. I had not really realised that I was being that kind, but obviously it is noticeable to others. That’s a really cool thing to learn that one of your qualities really sticks out to others. Last night a different friend said to me, “Hey Sarah. I just wanted to let you know that I’m really impressed by your servant’s heart.” What precious words... I really have been trying to embrace the idea that I should refresh someone each day with a kind word or deed, and therefore be refreshed myself by their reaction. Through this new goal of mine, I have come to know that I truly delight in making others happy. I knew this before, but in the past few days this fact has become so real. I am so blessed by the people here, and I only find it fair to bless those around me in return. 
Now I know my realizations about my life do not apply to you all, but it does not change the fact that you can be refreshed by refreshing others. I challenge you all to refresh yourselves this week. Maybe give a friend a bar of chocolate, or write an encouraging note, draw someone a funny picture, or just give a hug. Let others’ smiles delight your soul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment